ECOLOGICAL PROPERTIES OF POLYMERS INVOLVED IN NEW COAL MINING TECHNOLOGIES
Discussion is focused on ecological and hygienic aspects of using polymers in new coal mining technologies. It is found that in this case, synthetic polymers will expand the range of toxic and hazardous matters for miners, and will endanger environment. Toxic gas emissions during mixing and solidification of chemical solutions composed of polymeric resins are studied using the lab test data and scientific literature. It is determined that with the polymer-based technologies, both initial components of a polymeric mixture and substances resulted from reactions enter mine air. These are toxic substances belonging to hazard classes 1–4, including allergens which are agents of acute health effect. The studies involved modern methods of gas chromatographic, photocolorimetric and spectrophotometric analyses, as well as lab-scale testing of mixing and solidification of polymeric composition solutions. Migration and release dynamics of hazardous substances in working zone air are studied. Miner safety measures for application of polymer technologies are proposed, and prospects for using polymers in underground mining are specified.
: Uvarova V. A.
Uvarova V.A., Doctor of Technical Sciences, Head of Department,
Joint-stock company «Scientific Center VostNII of work safety in mining» (JSC «NC VostNII»)
650002, Kemerovo, Russia, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.Key words
Polymers, ecological properties, safety, toxicity, gas emission, toxic substances, coal mining technologies, tests, coal mine.References
1. Vasil'ev V. V., Levchenko V. I. Tekhnologiya fiziko-khimicheskogo uprochneniya gornykh porod [Technology of physicochemical reinforcement of rocks], Moscow, Nedra, 1991, 266 p.
2. Klimchuk I. V., Malanchenko V. M. Opyt primeneniya polimernykh tekhnologiy na gornodobyvayushchikh predpriyatiyakh Rossii [Experience of polymer technologies in mines in Russia]. Gornaya promyshlennost'. 2007, no 4, pp. 22—25. [In Russ].
3. Shatirov S. V., Vasil'ev V. V. Mery preduprezhdeniya obrusheniy porod v gornykh vyrabotkakh ugol'nykh shakht [Measures to prevent rock falls in coal mines]. Bezopasnost' truda v promyshlennosti. 2014, no 1, pp. 26—28. [In Russ].
4. Vasil'ev V. V. Polimernye kompozitsii v gornom dele [Polymeric compositions in mining], Moscow, Nauka, 1986, 294 p.
5. Uvarova V. A., Fomin A. I. Ekologicheskaya bezopasnost' khimicheskikh ampul ankernogo krepleniya [Ecological safety of chemical capsules of rock bolt grout]. Vestnik Kuzbasskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta. 2014, no 2, pp. 174—176. [In Russ].
6. Uvarova V. A. Polimernye materialy na predpriyatiyakh podzemnoy ugledobychi i ikh pozharnaya i ekologicheskaya bezopasnost' [Polymers in underground coal mines, and their fire and ecological safety]. Sovremennaya tekhnika i tekhnologii: problemy, sostoyanie i perspektivy. Materialy III Vserossiyskoy nauchnotekhnicheskoy konferentsii, 18-—19 December 2013. Rubtsovsk, RII, 2013, pp. 50—52. [In Russ].
7. Stec A. A., Hull T. R. Assessment of the fire toxicity of building insulation materials. Energy and Buildings, 43 (2011), pp. 498—50.
8. Stec Anna A., Hull Richard T. Fire toxicity assessment: comparison of asphyxiant yields from laboratory and large scale flaming fires Fire Saf. Sci., 11 (2014), pp. 404—418.
9. Feng Changgen, LI Shengcai, Xu Zhisheng, Yan Long, Liu Yong, 2014 International Symposium on Safety Science and Technology Study on Correlations between the Flammability and Dynamic Smoke Properties of Four Decorative Materials. Procedia Engineering. Vol. 84, 2014, pp. 498—505.
10. Uvarova V. A. Metodologicheskie osnovy kontrolya pozharoopasnykh i toksicheskikh svoystv shakhtnykh polimernykh materialov [Methodological framework of control over hazardous and toxic characteristics of polymers in mines], Doctor’s thesis, Moscow, 2016, 300 p.
11. Uvarov V. E. Uvarova V. A. Computer program RU 2014616116, 20.06.14.
12. Sukhanov V. V., Putilina O. N., Gadzhiev G. P. Sinteticheskie i polimernye materialy v ugol'noy promyshlennosti i gigiena truda pri ikh ispol'zovanii [Synthetic materials and polymers in coal mining industry and labor health], Moscow, TsNIEIugol', 1988, 42 p.